Monday, October 8, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - Week October 8th - October 14th

Link back to orgjunkie.org


Meal plans can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make them. In our house we need to have a plan because our days are not set up like most families. Our weekly schedule is not the normal 9 to 5, we eat our large meal at 11am, and a smaller, lunch sort of meal at 6 pm. I don't have a lot of time to find out what everyone wants to eat during the day. I also don't have a lot of time to take something out of the freezer and let it thaw for the 11 am meal. To make my life easier I plan our main meals months at a time.

As I said before this process can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. I choose the simple approach. To do this I start by coming up with "days" for the up coming months. I change them according to the season to accommodate the temperature change, because honestly the thought of stew in 100 degree weather is not something I like to think about. For September - December, typically your fall season, I have chosen the following days :

Monday: Soup/Stew
Tuesday : Chicken
Wednesday : Beef
Thursday : Pork
Friday : Pasta or Meatless
Saturday & Sunday : New recipe, take out, leftovers, parties. These two days are not too hectic so we have a bit more freedom. 

I fill in 3 months worth following these "days". This is pretty easy after the first month because other than parties or events that move things around, each month is the same. Now I know you are saying , "Don't you get bored eating the same things?" No, the reason is because by the time you get to the next month, those recipes that you liked are back again. Once I have the dinners, I can plan the freezer cooking days.

On Sunday morning we sit around after breakfast and discuss what we want to eat for breakfast, lunch and snacks for that week. I also check if there is anything they would like to change for the dinners I have planned. This all takes 15 to 20 minutes, not a lot of time if you think about how much time you waste during the day trying to decide on one meal. Also remember, things can move on your monthly or weekly schedule if they need to. You don't have to be stuck with what you have written if it doesn't work for one reason or another.

Now that you know how I come up with my plan; here is October 8th - October 14th

Monday October 8th
Breakfast : French Toast Sticks from the freezer (I need to write up the recipe, but they are a family favorite) and grapes
Lunch : Crockpot Chili and Cheese Bread
Dinner : Leftovers (Salad, mashed potatoes and slow cooker apple cherry pork loin )

Tuesday October 9th
Breakfast : Banana muffins and scrambled eggs
Lunch: Chicken fajitas
Dinner : Mini pizzas on a pita, red pepper strips

Wednesday October 10th
Breakfast : Baked oatmeal
Lunch : Meatballs, mashed potatoes and salad
Dinner : Pita bread, leftover fajita chicken and peas

Thursday October 11th
Breakfast : Breakfast cookies
Lunch : Garlic lime pork chops , rice, peas & carrots
Dinner : Baked Quinoa Bites and left over veggies

Friday October 12th
Breakfast : Cereal and apple slices
Lunch : Sandwiches, fish crackers and carrot sticks
Dinner : Lasagna and salad

Saturday October 13th
Breakfast : Breakfast cookies
Lunch and Dinner - Momma gone so leftovers and take out for Losing It Daddy and Kids

Sunday October 14th
Breakfast : Banana muffins and scrambled eggs
Lunch : Chicken Packets and salad
Dinner : Chicken strips, mash potatoes and corn on the cob

Snacks are yogurt, cheese sticks, nilla waffer cookies and graham crackers. I am also making Chocolate Cupcakes  for Try It Tuesday.

That is what our week looks like, what about yours?

3 comments:

  1. You'll have to post the "alternate" recipe for the chili. Add some of that chipotle sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by for a blog visit from Organizing Junkie's Menu Plan Monday today!
    My week looks pretty clear till Friday. I have a grocery delivery, doctor's appointments and my hubby has the weekend off.
    I love this time of year when the temps have cooled down to something liveable in Las Vegas!
    When I opened our coat closet I didn't get hit with a blast of heat today. Now that's much better.
    I'll be on the lookout for soup recipes to add to my recipe file box

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you check out my What's In My Freezer post I have a chicken corn chowder that is pretty darn good. Also, I have a few to try on pintrest, here is the link:

    http://pinterest.com/lisaowenbrown/soups-and-stews-oamc-possible/

    Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to say hi. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete