Thursday, June 7, 2012

Why so many races

As we come up to my 5th (and possibly 6th the next day) race, I thought I would talk about why I choose to do so many races. Yes I am not a great runner. Actually I have a hard time calling myself a runner since I only run about 1 to 2 minutes at a time. I do however try to improve each time I put that number on and cross that starting line.

Originally the Saint Patrick Race was only suppose to be a one time thing. Something to say "I did it" and move on. What happened was it fueled my passion for seeing myself improve each and every time I got out there. It also gave me something to call my own. I am doing some events with Losing It Daddy but really this is something that I can say I have improved and it is entirely up to me to make that happen.

 I decided after that first race that I wanted to try more events. One a month seemed like a great goal. After each race I was looking forward to the next one and every 4 weeks or so seemed like a long time. I add races when I am asked by friends because I love it so much. On race day you will see me jumping up and down, running backwards (trying to get Losing It Daddy to wake up while he is walking. That man is far from a morning person.), swinging my arms and doing anything I can to keep from annoying the people around me by talking about anything and everything. When I get excited it is like a little kid on Christmas morning. I know I will not come in first in my age group but I try to set little goals for myself each time and can't wait to get started to see if I can reach them.

Each races is a reason to get up at 5am every morning. I have days where I lay in bed and have to convince myself to get up and lace up my shoes. Knowing that in a few days I will be trying to beat the last number helps. During the week I rarely run. I know I should if I want to get better but for now I can still walk during the week and then do a little better at each race when I add in the running.

After 2 months of almost daily getting up and walking 2.5-3 miles I don't know what to do on days I don't get out there. I do take a day off here and there for my muscles to regroup but even on those days I have to get outside and do something. This is a far cry from what I was like at the start of the year and it still amazes me when I complete my morning walks. I look forward to the day I can run a whole race without walking.

I hope everyone can find one thing that will keep them going because you do feel so much better when you get some activity in your life. I can already see a difference in my choices from food to when I go to bed.

Take some time today to get outside and enjoy the world around you. Stretch your muscles and get in some movement. Do this everyday and soon you will see a change in yourself too. Maybe find an event that you can look forward to and will help you get out of bed that extra hour earlier each morning.

As you go forth, I hope you know you are worth every ounce of love you give others.
Peace and movement,
Losing It Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment