Sunday, June 24, 2012

Race #7 - Beach Wellness

I can't believe I am writing about my 7th race already. Losing It Momma of 2011 would have thought it insane to be running without zombies chasing you but Losing It Momma of 2012 can really see why people do it. The excitement, the sense of accomplishment, the all around better feeling is really worth it.
I am getting stronger! Watch out, Lightning Tortoise is coming for ya!

June 23rd, 2012 I went and did Beach Wellness 5k in Bay City, MI. It was held at the state park with a day full of events. It was a last minute addition so Losing It Daddy stayed home with the boys and I traveled with Brandon and Alisha. We had to arrive an hour, at least, before the race to register and make sure we were there in time to get to the starting line. We left the house around 7:30 and got there at 8am, plenty of time for the 9 am start. After getting registered we walked some down by the beach and checked out the end of the course. The last .10 mile was on a foot bridge. I joked about which board I would trip on, since I am somewhat clumsy. We also talked with the other runners we know from the other races. I love the support from races. Even if you are trying to beat the person next to you (I am always trying to beat me and only me) everyone is very friendly.

We all lined up in the parking lot at 8:50 and I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman with walking sticks. He told me how he did the Pinconning Cheese Race in the 50's (he was 80+) and came in first in the 2 mile and 3rd for the 5 mile. He is now just getting out and walking. His knees can no longer handle the stress of running but he can walk. When the whistle went off at 9:03 I wished my new friend good luck and started to slow jog. I remember someone saying on Facebook that most people try to go too fast when they start out so I decided this race was about endurance not speed. I kept up a good pace for a much longer period of time than before. I didn't check my watch but I know I jogged at a comfortable speed for at least 2 minutes. When we got out to the road I decided to walk some. After catching my breath, I jogged some more. I kept repeating to myself that I could do this. I was awesome and moving about 80 more lbs than most of the other racers out there. It really helped me push through parts where I wanted to walk but knew I had it in me to push a bit farther.

The course took up back into the woods on to a dirt path. This was a much wider path than the Curwood race. I would pass walkers here and there and sometimes they would pass me again when I slowed down. This didn't bother me because I knew there was room and I was running against myself, not them. When I got up to the 1.5 mile water station I made sure to dump the water on my head. If I have learned anything about warmer weather races, a cool head can make all the difference. I encouraged another pair of runners who were walking to do the same. I assumed it was their first race and they were pouring some on their neck but I explained that the water would be cold at first but would warm up quickly.

We came out of the woods and crossed a road and went back onto a paved trail that went along some of the little inlet lakes. I came up to the 2 mile marker and said aloud "That's the 2?" I could not believe I had made it that far already. I knew I could pick up the pace and these races are getting easier for me each one I complete. I did come up to another water station (they had 10K racers going as well so more water stations than just for a 5k) and saw a young Boy Scout waiting with his water to hand out. One thing I have learned is the younger kids LOVE to throw their water if you tell them they can. I started running before I saw him but kept going so I could run by him. I asked him if he wanted to throw his water at me. The biggest smile came across this 8-9 year olds face as he tossed it at my side. I was kind of hoping for my face but I think he wasn't so sure. He did look very happy that he got to do it though.

As I came to 2.25 miles in we were back on a trail in the woods. I thought that since I was in such a beautiful setting I should enjoy the sounds and sights. I took off my head phones that I had blaring. I play my music rather loud so I don't hear my body "clapping" along and my heavy breathing. I was kinda upset for waiting so long to enjoy the course. I loved listening to the birds and it made the view so much better once I was experiencing the whole thing. The sounds I try to drown out with the music really were not that bad. It was an added bonus that the closest racers were either 2 minutes ahead or 2 minutes behind me.

With 1/4 of a mile left to go I spotted Alisha coming back for me. Each race I do with both Brandon and Alisha is great because they always come back. When I see them I know I don't have much more to go. It was getting to be rather scary since I wasn't sure where I was in terms of the finish line. She told me where the photographer was and that is usually a sign the end is near. I was able to jog a bit more than the last time we did a 5k, back in April, but I still had to walk a few times. Both of them started clapping and whistling at me like they do to get their dogs moving as a gentle ribbing. It didn't really bother me as much as I let on but I did yell at them that they were worst than the paramedics right behind me in Pinconning.

When I was yards away from the finish line I gave it all I had left. I yelled, screamed and panted my way across the finish line and got my best race finish to date of 47.25. I grabbed my metal from the volunteer but had to lay on the grass so the other woman could cut the timer off my shoe. I was so happy and so tired all at the same time.


Brandon, Alisha and Losing It Momma's after photo
I am so happy with how much better I did and that I stayed out of my head more than normal.  The words of encouragement I received on Facebook from people I knew and didn't know really stuck with me. Everyone who is on the losing a marathon support page and everyone who is on my personal page were with me every step of the way. I can not thank you all enough. This is truly a great sport to try and get involved with.

Next Saturday will take me and Losing It Sib Lena to a Mud Run in Millington. We will not be trying for time as much as finishing (as muddy as we can). Expect the photos from this race to out tell the story.

Keep trying and keep up the good work.
Losing It Momma
Click Here to like me on Facebook

1 comment: