Monday, March 18, 2013

Jack's Birth Story

Everyone has their own birth story. Some are picture perfect and some are very trying but most are somewhere in between. If you feel your OBGYN is not the perfect fit don't be afraid to change medical professionals. Great Lakes Bay Moms has compiled a list of OBGYN, Midwives and Doulas for you to choose from. 
 
My first born son's entrance into the world was nothing like I thought it would be. I watched TLC's A Birth Story and I was 14-10 years older than my siblings. I knew that I wouldn't know the exact time he would be coming into this world and that it wouldn't happen quickly. I could only plan as much as I could and wait.

At my 30 week prenatal appointment things started to change. They were noticing my ankles were swelling and protein was being detected in my urine. Since I was overweight before my pregnancy the big concern was always gestational diabetes but this was a new concern. Nothing was said to me at this point, I was just told to get a container from the lab and collect my urine for 3 days for testing. I did and when I went back for my 32nd week appointment the concern was made clear. The doctor informed me that I had pre-eclampsia. I was instructed to look it up online because our time was running short. Lets just say going online to look up any sort of medical advice is not the best thing to do. I was sure I was going to die within the week and started to panic.

We had some non-stress tests scheduled (a monitor is put on your stomach and the baby's heart rate is watched) for the next few weeks. I was at the doctors office 3 times a week from 32 weeks to 35 weeks. Nothing changed much so I was just monitored.

When I arrived to my 36 week appointment I did the normal urine test, blood pressure test and had my weight charted. I couldn't tell what was going on but the nurses and doctors seemed concerned. I was asked to lay on my side and in a short time a nurse would be in to take my blood pressure again. After 2 minutes another doctor, my doctor and a nurse were waiting with a wheel chair. I was informed that there was protein in my urine at high levels and that I was to have the baby that day. The nurse pushed me up to the maternity ward and my husband rushed home to get a bag packed and to inform my family I would not be present at my baby shower scheduled for the next day.

When I was upstairs I was told that my kidneys were shutting down and they needed to induce me. Some sort of medical strip was placed on my cervix to try to thin it and induce labor. For about 3 hours I waited for something, anything to happen. Then I saw a group of doctors in the doorway whispering. My doctor held his head low and seemed to not want to talk to me. After a few minutes he came in and said they had made a mistake. I couldn't be induced that day because I was not considered full term. Now the strip needed to be removed and I was to stay in the hospital for 3 more days to be full term and they would try again. I cried.... I was beside myself and full of anger that I would be taken on such an emotional roller coaster was my first thought. My second thought was to get this man who called himself a doctor as far away from me as possible. Through out the night I was monitored and spoke to many doctors and nurses.

The next morning the OBGYN on staff came in and spoke a bit about what was going on. I explained my side of the story and how I felt. It was mentioned that I could have a c-section because of the stress and obvious health concern of pre-eclampsia. The risks of giving birth and having a c-section were given to me. After some consideration I decided the c-section only put me at risk and trying to wait for a natural birth put two lives at risk. I choose the c-section. The nurse who had been very nice up to this point, decided to make her plea. She explained that she would never have a c-section and that I should at least try the other way first. I declined, I knew that in the end I would need the c-section so I wasn't going to put myself or child through that stress. From that point on the nurse would not speak to me.

I thought this would be the end of it but it was not. After the c-section was offered and I was coming to terms with that, my phone rang. It was the doctor who started this whole mess. He sat on the phone and tried to talk me out of the surgery. He tried every tactic he could think of but I was standing strong in my decision. He then decided to come up to the hospital and talk me out of it in person. It did not work.

Finally at 4 pm, 28 hours after I was admitted,I was being preped for surgery. A sense of relief washed over me when I was sitting outside the operating doors that I knew this was over. I learned that day that not everyone will be on your side but if you are truly at peace with your decision you will come out ahead. I also learned that not everyone will be happy with your decisions but if you feel that is what is best in your heart, then you may have to fight.

Jack was born at 5:18pm in 2008. He was born at 36 weeks and 5 days, making him a premie in the eyes of the doctors. If we waited 2 more days he would have been full term. My swelling went down within 2 days of birth and my protein levels were back to normal within the week. Jack had no side effects from the ordeal.

I forgave everyone for the circumstances that led to each event. I know they were trying their best to protect me and my child. I don't like to share this story only because I don't want anyone to be scared of what could happen to them. My case is unique because I could have stopped the "snowball" many times if I only spoke up. I didn't, I trusted blindly and didn't ask questions or communicate my feelings until the end. 

Both Kate and Jill have also shared their birth stories before. They can be found here:
Kate's Olivia and Adriana
Jill's Spring Blessing








No comments:

Post a Comment