Saturday, January 5, 2013

Celebrating 3,2 and 32 (with some cupcakes)

On my 29th birthday I spent it in the hospital, reciting my information to every doctor and nurse who came in to talk to me. I then had to explain that yes my birthday was indeed THAT day and yes my 2nd son, Archer, would also have that birthday. 

Just before my 30th birthday I had to spend the weeks leading up to January explaining to the doctors and nurses that yes my birthday is January 8th, yes I had a child on January 8th and yes my 3rd son was DUE on January 8th. Little Hudson (well at 9 lbs and 6oz he wasn't that little) was actually born 5 days sooner so he could have his own day but he still celebrates on the 8th.

Over the past few years I have started making cupcakes for parties and other events around town. I have made everything from Mountain Dew cupcakes to a simple chocolate cupcake with great success. Recently a request for black forest cupcakes was made at my husbands work. I honestly had no idea what a black forest cake was and set forth on Pintrest to do some research. I found out that it is basically chocolate cake with some sort of cherry mixture on it. Easy enough to make into cupcake form. I did ask for a poll to be taken about the frosting because I found everything from chocolate frosting to whipped cream frostings to be used. The consensus was to use a chocolate frosting.

I hope you enjoy this cupcake recipe.I sent 18 into work, only keeping 5 for our family. That way I was not tempted to eat more than a serving. These were gone in record time and I am sure will be asked to send more in very soon.


Black Forest Cupcake
Makes around 23 cupcakes 
Ingredients 
  • 1 2/3 C all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 C white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 C buttermilk
  • Cherry pie filling (AFTER cupcakes are made)
Directions for cakes:

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs and extracts.
Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until combined.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 F for eighteen minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.

After letting the cupcakes cool, I punched down the middle with a little tool I have for cupcakes. You can use a paring knife to cut a hole out of the top of each cupcake. Fill each hole with 3-4 cherries and some pie gel. 


Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients 

  • 1/2 C unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 T sweeten condense milk
  • 6 T unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 2 C powder sugar
  • Dash of milk (for creamy texture)
Directions

Blend butter, cocoa powder and powder sugar in a blender. Slowly add the condensed milk. Once mixed, blend for 1 min. If too thick, add milk to get right texture. *note: I prefer my frosting to be more like a thin fudge. 

You can pipe it on around the cherries or spread over the whole top. It all depends on your love of chocolate. 

ENJOY!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment